Thursday, January 18, 2007

 

Won't You Be......My Neighbor?!?!




So here is a question for all you nice people, how close are you with your neighbors? We have been working and/or living at our new place since December 1 and I have yet to be greeted by a neighbor (well except for the condo person who stopped by for a quick minute to drop off the rule book – but she had to do that). Now not that I am expecting to be or necessarily want to be friends with my neighbors but I find it weird that no one has even looked our way – infact we really don’t see people out in our neighborhood, possibly b/c it is colder and a bunch of older people live there. Anyways - what surprises me most is that our duplex neighbor – the person we share half a side of a house with, hasn’t even come over and T & I have only seen her pulling out of her drive way once. Am I expecting too much? Should WE be going around to the 6-8 houses in our circle and be making nice? Or should we just not care and continue doing our thing? What is proper neighbor protocol – because we just don’t want to be “those” neighbors who everyone else gets together and talks about. Infact – rumor has it from the previous owner of our place that the condo association was not happy that a “younger” couple was moving in b/c this was a quiet/family neighborhood. HAHA – so I guess our late night drug and alcohol parties where we invite 50 people over till 6 in the a.m. will have to stay to a minimum!


I am not looking for a Desperate Housewives neighborhood where everyone knows everyone’s business and we all hangout – but I also don’t want to be the black sheep of the neighborhood…..I just want a house of our own where we do our own thing and when we see a neighbor we both smile and wave and carry on with the day (ah….how perfect that would be!)


So once again I ask should we just carry on as normal and not worry about it, should we be making the first move and introduce ourselves to our duplex neighbor, at the least? I guess I always thought people brought you cookies when you moved in…that just be on TV! hehe

Comments:
We don't know many of our neighbors. I've never lived in a neighborhood before so I'm not sure if it's common or not.

We chatted a few times with our neighbors behind us and their kids come over to 'borrow' food all the time.

The neighbor across the street is crazy and used to come over everytime we were outside. A firm 'stay the f**k off my yard' was all it took to get him to stop. (Seriously. I'll tell you the story sometime.)

The woman next door says hi and pets our dog from time to time.

And the guy two houses down will yell a hello if we're both outside.

That's all. No Welcome Wagon. No cookies. No neighborly barbeques.
 
I hear this from just about everyone. I don't think neighbors do this anymore (i.e. be nice) After 6 months of no one coming over, I finally went next door. They didn't even stop their car when they passed and I was by the street mailbox!! Then after ONE YEAR I stopped to talk to the lady across the street, who was planting flowers by the road. SHE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW ANYONE HAD MOVED IN ONE YEAR AGO. She acted like, "Wait. Who lived there before?" But they were there for like 25 years!!!

My sis-in-law is still pissed that maybe just one person came to say hi to her too.

Oh well. Such is the present life I guess.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?